Write




Image from the internet



“When Ideas rot, it’s like a cancerous cell that slowly contaminates the whole thinking process and self-esteem.”
                                                                                                                                   Anonymous Voice 





Write, write, write, and write.  I pass my bitten fingernails through my hair. It has started locking itself. I close my eyes, take a breath of not-so-fresh air, I have not brushed in a while.

These voices are really starting to fill my head.

 "Salama Rasta"
"Mpa ijana"
"Huh? What do you major?"
"Two years?"
" I am … "
"You make films?"

The images are not letting me go either. 

Pac is smiling with his easy and naïve face. He has his blonde dyed hair with a line cutting through half his head.  

I see my reflection smiling, It has aged. It has gained more weight and more facial hair. It has a suit on and it fits.

 It is laughing so hard I can see my broken front tooth. Why is it laughing at me?
“You sure fool?” it utters loudly. 

I open my eyes and look at this blank page in my laptop.  It is Saturday, the 20th October and it’s my 23rd birthday.


23 like the magic jersey number in basketball. 2+3 is 5, my first novel has been rejected 5 times by the only publisher around here who has ties with PENGUIN. 

I am at my fourth short film. The plan was making the best short film, about depression.

 It is a very interesting and common subject, a shovel for gold diggers. I planned on becoming the wiz-kid  in the industry and taking over.  After all that is why I am called what I am called.

I can feel mom’s heavy breathing from where I am seated in the living room, her allergies again. 

"Ganza, your friends are graduating from the university" she said last night. I did not fight or argue with her this time.

"All your uncles are coming" she added.   I had foreseen this day but kept pushing it.

In 2 hours and 30 minutes, I will be facing the whole family about my issue of dropping out from medical school. 

Foolish me, I was re-editing the poem I wrote for her on mother’s day, to make an impression on a date.


The voices are getting louder now; it was somewhere here! I cannot find the pen…

Fool are you sure?  Sure, you want to drop the obedience mask and walk freely. Are you ready to pay the price of freedom? Kan-Ye handle it.

The decisive moment has come!  You hate the truth, you hate facing people in their eyes, face it! You are a Libra, a weak one, a people-pleaser. In addition, you want to please yourself.”


A small laughter comes in mind, my accuser and I laugh at that pun.

He is right though, I want to please myself and let these ideas out so I can at least think something else.

Like “Phonia” my first novel, it has been rotting in my head ever since I met Sonia. 

"Sonia... "

I want to give the voices and the court that is about to organize the middle finger and take my course; but what if it remains stagnant like this?  I want to add a thumbs up at the same time, balance right?

I close my eyes again,
It is so quiet, so still.
I can only hear the harmony of my heartbeat and my brain muscles.


Write, write, write, and write.


                         



g3nz3rt



Comments